Attributed to a great demand on my easy crochet bag of textile yarn, you can find here the English version.
During one of my shopping trips last year, I was stumbling in a bundle of textile yarn, whitch attracted me that much. Normally. I am keen on buying new fabrics for sewing, but this white yarn with blue stripes was great. Never before I crochet anything with textile yarn. So I said, let’s start with a new experiences.
Therefore, I was searching for inspiration at Pinterest, but I only find crochet patterns for smaller bags. I always need enough space in my bag for my portemonnaie, my mobile phone, my cosmetic bags, my e-book, …. Attributed to a lot of small patterns I had to create my own one. And here it is:
You need the following materials for crocheting:
- Textile yarn (~200m), e.g. Hooked Zpaghetti or T-Yarn or Svoly Yarn
- Crochet hook– I used size 10
How to craft this easy crochet tote bag:
ch = chain
sl st = slip stich
sc = single crochet (US) (= double crochet (UK))
st = stich
Let’s get started:
Start with 25 chains and mark the last chain with a stitch marker or a short piece of yarn (end of the rounds).
Crochet the bottom of the easy tote bag:
In round 1+2 we are using only back loops . If you need any instructions please watch the following tutorial of Weareknitters.
Round 1: Back loops only
1 ch, 1 sc in second loop from hook, continue ch until next to last loop. 3 sc in last loop. Back to the start with 23 sc and 3 sc in the last loop. Set stitch marker.
Round 2: Back loops only
24 sc and 3 sc in next loop. Next 26 sc and 3 sc in the last loop of the round. Set stitch marker.
Finally you have 56 loops in a round (56 st).
Crochet the sides of the easy tote bag:
From now you are using the normal sc – no back loops any more.
56 sc in 15 rounds. Set stitch marker after every round.
Crochet the handles of the easy tote bag:
Start the next round with 15 sc, followed by 8 ch for the first handle. Skip 8 loops of the round before and use the 9th loop for the next sc. 19 sc and again 8 ch for the second handle, following sc in the 9th loop until the end of the round (56 st).
Next round: 56 sc.
Last round: Finished your lovely bag with 56 sl st. Fasten of the yarn and the secure it with a needle.
Congratulation! You finished it!
Tips & tricks:
- Save time: If you use thick yarn, you will be ready earlier.
- Adjust the bag size: If you prefer your bag smaller, you can crochet it with a thin yarn and a suitable crochet hook. If you need a bigger bag size, then you can enlarged the number of chains at the beginning. Caution: use an uneven amount of chains at the beginning.
- Bag weight: My best friend liked by crochet bag, but was not happy about the weight of the tote bag. Please keep that in mind.
- Laugh at the end: Setting the stitch marker helps! I denied using that gorgeous tool and in my last round of this bag project I recognized working only with 55 loops in one round instead of 56 loops. Argh – the missing loop was found in round 2. 🙂
I am looking forward for your comments & pics from your finished bags.